Flex 4.5 with IntelliJIDEA | Screenshot Guided Tour
I used to be a Windows, Flash Builder, Eclipse user but I have since migrated to Ubuntu 11.04 and IntelliJIDEA. I would have migrated earlier than I eventually did but one of the things holding me back was the lack of a mature Flex development environment on Ubuntu.
This has now changed and am working with Flex 4.5 SDK on IntelliJIDEA + Ubuntu and I feel more productive than ever before. Listed below are steps for you to get started with developing Flex 4.5 applications on IntelliJIDEA:
- Assumption – You have downloaded Flex SDK 4.5 and have a working installation on IntelliJIDEA. Additionally you have downloaded the Flash debug player (projector) for Linux.
- Add Flex 4.5 SDK to Global SDKs – Launch the Project Structure window through the file menu or Ctrl + Alt + Shift + S. Under Platform Settings select the SDKs option and add the Flex 4.5 SDK. You should know the path where Flex 4.5 SDK has been extracted.
- Add Flex 4.5 SDK as a Module Dependency – Under Project Structure select Modules, further select your Flex module and set Flex 4.5 SDK as Module SDK and it to the Dependencies if not already present.
- Fast Flex Compiler – Open Settings via the file menu or Ctrl + Alt + S, select Flex Compiler and choose the Flex compiler shell for fast Flex compilations. Using Built-in compiler shell did not work for me with Flex 4.5 SDK.
- Edit configuration with Flash debugger – Create a new Flex run configuration and select the Flash Player Debugger as the Launch Application.
- All set to go!