Home > Web > Flex 4.5 with IntelliJIDEA | Screenshot Guided Tour

Flex 4.5 with IntelliJIDEA | Screenshot Guided Tour

May 11, 2011

I used to be a Windows, Flash Builder, Eclipse user but I have since migrated to Ubuntu 11.04 and IntelliJIDEA. I would have migrated earlier than I eventually did but one of the things holding me back was the lack of a mature Flex development environment on Ubuntu.

This has now changed and am working with Flex 4.5 SDK on IntelliJIDEA + Ubuntu and I feel more productive than ever before. Listed below are steps for you to get started with developing Flex 4.5 applications on IntelliJIDEA:

1. Assumption – You have downloaded Flex SDK 4.5 and have a working installation on IntelliJIDEA. Additionally you have downloaded the Flash debug player (projector) for Linux.
  2. Add Flex 4.5 SDK to Global SDKs – Launch the Project Structure window through the file menu or Ctrl + Alt + Shift + S. Under Platform Settings select the SDKs option and add the Flex 4.5 SDK. You should know the path where Flex 4.5 SDK has been extracted.
  3. Add Flex 4.5 SDK as a Module Dependency – Under Project Structure select Modules, further select your Flex module and set Flex 4.5 SDK as Module SDK and it to the Dependencies if not already present.
  4. Fast Flex Compiler – Open Settings via the file menu or Ctrl + Alt + S, select Flex Compiler and choose the Flex compiler shell for fast Flex compilations. Using Built-in compiler shell did not work for me with Flex 4.5 SDK.
  5. Edit configuration with Flash debugger – Create a new Flex run configuration and select the Flash Player Debugger as the Launch Application.
  6. All set to go!

Srirangan is a programmer / senior consultant with Inphina Technologies
Blog   GitHub   LinkedIn   Twitter

About these ads
Categories: Web Tags: , ,
  1. May 12, 2011 at 8:58 AM | #1

Also used IDEA on Linux for Flex development. However a few days ago I was forced to go back to Windows since we require FlashPlayer 10.1 now and due to this bug in the Linux debug player http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-1421 I cannot debug properly anymore on Linux.

Unfortunately the bug is open since more than 2 years and Adobe shows little interest in fixing it.

2. julien
    May 16, 2011 at 1:48 PM | #2

no problem for me debugging flash player 10.2 content on linux

• May 17, 2011 at 6:54 AM | #3

So you are able to expand objects in the debug watch window with no crashes? That’s the key of the bug. Stepping through code works, but as soon as you want to examine the details of an object, the flashplayer crashes. This is not acceptable.

Please – try to expand objects and in case it works, give more details on your environment.

I have tried that on various installations with Flashplayer 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3 with no luck. Even the folks at JetBrains refer to the Adobe bug report. I am very sure that many people that have subscribed on that bug will be very happy to hear how to solve this problem..

Did you install 32 bit or 64 bit version of Ubuntu?

3. May 16, 2011 at 1:51 PM | #4

Works perfectly for me as well!

4. scott
    May 17, 2011 at 2:11 AM | #5

hello,

I’ve just moved over to linux as well and I’d like to explore using this setup. Can you help answer a couple of questions?
    when doing this setup, can I use the community edition of intellij? which flex 4.5 sdk do I use, the adobe flex sdk or the open source flex sdk?
    any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

scott

5. May 17, 2011 at 2:18 AM | #6

Hi Scott,

1. I may be wrong but I think IntelliJIDEA Ultimate edition is required for Flex / ActionScript. You can give it a shot with the Community edition + relevant plugins first of course before purchasing.

2. If you want to use proprietary Adobe components such as Charting then you need the Adobe Flex SDK, else you can use the Open Source Flex SDK.

Good luck.

- Sri

Comments are closed.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: